President Trump lashed out Tuesday at Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., who is
“Lightweight Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, a total flunky for Chuck Schumer and someone who would come to my office ‘begging’ for campaign contributions not so long ago (and would do anything for them), is now in the ring fighting against Trump,” the president wrote on Twitter. “Very disloyal to Bill & Crooked-USED!”
“The insinuation in this tweet is clearly sexual and it’s demeaning to women,” BBC News anchor Katty Kay remarked.
“Are you really trying to bully, intimidate and slut-shame @SenGillibrand?” Sen. Elizabeth Warren tweeted. “Do you know who you’re picking a fight with? Good luck with that, @realDonaldTrump.”
Gillibrand responded in a tweet of her own.
“You cannot silence me or the millions of women who have gotten off the sidelines to speak out about the unfitness and shame you have brought to the Oval Office,” she tweeted.
Gillibrand also addressed Trump’s tweet at a press briefing on Capitol Hill.
“It was a sexist smear attempting to silence my voice, and I will not be silenced on this issue,” she told reporters. “Neither will the women who stood up to the president yesterday. And neither will the millions of women who have been marching since the Women’s March to stand up against policies they do not agree with.”
Gillibrand is one of at least 56 female lawmakers — all Democrats — calling for a congressional investigation into the allegations against Trump. On Monday, Gillibrand took it a step further, saying Trump should resign.
“President Trump has committed assault, according to these women, and those are very credible allegations of misconduct and criminal activity, and he should be fully investigated and he should resign,”
Three of Gillibrand’s male colleagues — Sens. Cory Booker, D-N.J., Ron Wyden, D-Ore., and Jeff Merkley, D-Ore. — joined her in calling for Trump’s resignation.
During the 2016 presidential campaign, more than a dozen women came forward, accusing the real estate mogul and former reality television star of sexual misconduct. Trump fiercely denied their claims, many of which emerged after the 2005 “Access Hollywood” tape was made public in October 2016. In the infamous tape, Trump boasted that his celebrity status allowed him to forcibly kiss and grope women.
Trump again denied the accusations on Tuesday.
“Despite thousands of hours wasted and many millions of dollars spent, the Democrats have been unable to show any collusion with Russia — so now they are moving on to the false accusations and fabricated stories of women who I don’t know and/or have never met,” Trump tweeted. “FAKE NEWS!”
Earlier Monday, three of the women who accused Trump during the campaign repeated their claims on Megyn Kelly’s morning NBC show and later at a news conference.
Samantha Holvey, a former Miss USA contestant who
“It was heartbreaking last year. We are private citizens,” Holvey told Kelly. “And for us to put ourselves out there, to try to show America who this man is, and especially how he views women, for them to say, ‘meh, we don’t care,’ it hurt. And so, now it’s just, like, all right, let’s try round two; the environment is different, let’s try again.”
Another Trump accuser, Melinda McGillivray, appeared on Kelly’s show Tuesday.
At the White House Monday, press secretary Sarah Sanders
“Look, the president has addressed these accusations directly and denied all of these allegations,” Sanders told reporters. “And this took place long before he was elected to be president. And the people of this country, at a decisive election, supported President Trump, and we feel like these allegations have been answered through that process.”
Not everyone in the Trump administration holds that view. On Sunday, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said on CBS’ “Face The Nation” that the women who have accused Trump have every right to speak up.”
“They should be heard, and they should be dealt with,” Haley said.
According to the Associated Press, Haley’s comments “infuriated the president.”
Read more from Yahoo News: